My name is not really Squawkfox

2010-01-23T23:43:57+00:00 Links|

I’ve been called many names over the years. Some names have been given in fondness while others have been slung in spite. I’m sure you’ve been there too.

But to be completely honest with you, my parents didn’t name me Squawk, Foxy, or The Squawker – they named me Kerry.

I named my blog Squawkfox 488 days ago because my “better half” was done with my “squawking” to him about money and suggested I start a blog about it. He said he’d catch my Squawks in the RSS feed when he felt like it. He has fondly referred to me as Fox for a number of years now because it gets him laid.

When I started blogging about money hundreds of posts ago I didn’t expect that thousands of readers would subscribe to my Squawks along with my “better half”. Back when I created my pseudonym I failed to consider how I’d answer email, deal with phone calls, or sign business contracts. After a while real people just wanted to know my real name. If you’re a real person, I don’t blame you for emailing and asking.

So my full name is Kerry K. Taylor. The “K” part is important. Without the “K” Google shows you football players, a baseball pro, a stripper, and even a real estate agent. None of these people are me. I look better fully dressed and I don’t like it when people throw balls at me.

The name Kerry is one of those gender-bending monikers. It’s like a slinky – it’s fun for a girl and a boy. In fact, many people have mistaken me for a guy – until they meet me. I once went for a job interview where the hiring team was floored when I showed up and not some dude. I spent the first half of the interview picking jaws up off the floor and the second half getting hired. Yes, people, girls can be technical nerds too.

Anykerryktaylor, I decided to reveal my identity after writing the book 397 Ways To Save Money because someone’s name had to go on the cover. Since my editor was kind enough to feature my blog name with my real name on the book, I figured my pseudonym days were numbered.

So this brings me to day 488 of writing as Fox. Now that you’ve met me, I’ll introduce you to my “better half” – his name is Carl. Carl is German (from Germany), but his parents decided to spell his name the unGerman way without a “K”. This is important. ‘Cause if you spell Carl’s name with a “K” and my name with a “C” I tend to get a little annoyed. In Carl’s native language he’s my “Bessere Haelfte” – but since it annoys him when I try to speak German I’ll just call him Carl from now on.

No one in my home has been immune from my blog identity protection program, not even my dog Tivo. My dog is cute. My dog has big ears. And my dog’s name isn’t really Tivo. Her name is Pivo. Pivo is Czech for the cheapest golden beverage brewed in the Czech Republic – beer. So my dog’s name is beer. To the delight of my German husband, Carl, our beloved Australian Cattle Dog is a Czech brewsky. Classy. When we adopted Pivo from the SPCA the volunteers explained that Pivo’s original owners got her after a long vacation in the Czech Republic and named her after their favorite beverage. You can see why I preferred Tivo. I digress.

So there you have it – Squawkfox is Kerry K. Taylor, my “better half” is Carl, and my dog is named beer. If you want to see my mug shot then check out my About page for more real life stuff about me.

So now that you know my name and can send me messages without addressing “Fox”, please be kind. I’m a shy, quiet nerd with a loud writing voice. And please, if you ever decide to start a blog, please blog under your real name, you never know where it will take you. πŸ˜‰

1. Doctor S May 5, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Nice to meet you kerry! Congrats on your book and finally revealing the identity.

2. Patrick May 5, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Excellent. Congrats on the book – I hope it does extremely well for you. πŸ™‚

3. Emily May 5, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Congrats on the book and it’s nice to know your name now πŸ™‚ I was here earlier and saw it and I must say, the lack of anonymity makes me like you even more – which is saying a lot πŸ˜‰ Good luck with the book!

4. Kyle May 5, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Please to meet you. I second Patrick’s congrats on the book.

5. DebtKid May 5, 2009 at 7:13 pm

What a fantastic time to reveal your real name! Great job Kerry! I really like the cover, the green maple leaf is a great touch.

6. No Debt Plan May 5, 2009 at 7:21 pm

This is one of the best posts I’ve read in a long while. Really well written, good jokes included… I mean seriously, beer? That’s awesome.

I almost feel like we’re in the Matrix. Welcome to the real world, Kerry K. Taylor. πŸ™‚

7. Four Pillars May 5, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Great post – good luck with the book.

8. Flexo May 5, 2009 at 7:39 pm

I’ll stick with “Flexo” for as long as I continue posting my net worth and income info. πŸ™‚ If I write a book, I’d probably use a more normal-sounding pseudonym if it’s somehow related to my blog. I’ve already written articles using a different name. It doesn’t bother me that my “real” name isn’t linked to things I do.

Can’t wait to read the book!

9. Riscario Insider @riscario May 5, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Did the revelation hurt, Kerry?

I’ve been puzzled that so many Canadian bloggers hide. If you’re leaking classified information, there’s a reason. Other times, anonymity reduces credibility. Why is the writer hiding? Why wouldn’t you want credit for your efforts?

As you saw on Twitter, photos matter. When you started using yours, I figured your name would follow because of your book.

If you’re good, you’ll get noticed. Hiding your identity gets in the way. You can’t show your blog on LinkedIn, your personal website or your Google Profile.

There are merits to having a brand and a name. You can sell one later. Maybe both πŸ˜‰

Welcome to the real world! May others follow your path.

10. Jude May 5, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Nice to meet you, Kerry K. Taylor πŸ™‚

11. TStrump May 5, 2009 at 8:58 pm

I’ve been torn on this whole idea of being anonymous.
    My blog is kind of anonymous but it’s fairly easy to find my name, even though I took if off the site a few months ago.
    .. And of course, the blog name is based on my last name.
    I think this whole idea of being noticed is a bit scary at first – that’s why people blog anonymously.

12. Daphne @ Joyful Days May 5, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Hi Kerry,

Nice introduction! You certainly have a flair for writing!

13. May 6, 2009 at 3:41 am

Hey Fox,

It is finally nice to know your real name. For the time being old habits are hard to break. So, I will keep calling you Fox for the time being.

14. Jean May 6, 2009 at 3:58 am

Pleasure to meet you, Kerry. My name confuses people, too – one of those gender bender names – I, too, am a girl and have surprised people when I show up at things where they don’t know me!

You gotta love anyone who has a dog named beer!

15. FFB May 6, 2009 at 4:59 am

Great to meet the whole you Kerry! Can’t wait to see the book.

16. Steve May 6, 2009 at 5:41 am

Very useful information. I was thinking you were the stripper.

17. Nicole May 6, 2009 at 5:59 am

Hi, Kerry! As a new reader of your blog, the timing of this post couldn’t have come at a better time πŸ™‚ I dig your writing style and look forward to future posts!

18. Vered - MomGrind May 6, 2009 at 7:24 am

I like the name Kerry. πŸ™‚

19. Drew May 6, 2009 at 8:37 am

Congrats on coming out of the closet!

20. Hayden Tompkins May 6, 2009 at 9:59 am

Is this a coming out party? πŸ˜‰

21. marci May 6, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Cool! and Cute!
    Good post – as usual!

22. Mrs. Money May 6, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Nice to “meet” you! I think it’s awesome you live on an organic farm!!

23. FupDuckTV May 7, 2009 at 7:29 am

Hey Fox,
    “[Your husband] has fondly referred to [you] as Fox for a number of years now because it gets him laid.” I’m going to continue addressing you as Fox in hopes that it will get me laid as well (not nessicarily by you, it is more of a general aspiration of mine).

Good luck with the book sales. Any chance of a signed copy?

24. That One Caveman May 7, 2009 at 10:41 am

I’ll be forced to “out” myself soon, too, but I’ll keep my alter-ego for now.

Please let us know when the book is available on Amazon (and make sure the publisher provides ample review copies for your blogger friends πŸ™‚ ) because I want a copy!

25. Tammy aka Cheapchick May 7, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Congratulations on your book…I am always afraid to post too personal items as one day may lose my anonymity. Well, you lost yours for good reasons so again, cheers!

26. Nicole May 8, 2009 at 4:03 am

You know, I’ve always secretly wanted to be an anonymous blogger but you’ve made me think otherwise. I guess I am glad I’m out there with my real name now! Congrads Kerry on all the exciting things going on!

27. Bret May 10, 2009 at 12:22 pm

It’s nice to see the real you come out.

I have been following your blog for quite a while.

28. Kelly May 11, 2009 at 4:39 am

I love you =)

29. […] of Squawkfox tells us her real name is Kerry (and she has a book coming out […]

30. Iva @ Horizontal Yo-Yo May 16, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Can I still call you Fox? Or Squack? Or Squackfox? πŸ˜‰

Very nice to ‘meet’ you, Kerry.

31. Khai September 16, 2009 at 2:19 pm

> He has fondly referred to me as Fox for a number of years now because it gets him laid.

This is perhaps the best tip you’ve published to date. I’ll remove the “perhaps” once it passes rigorous and extensive field testing…

32. Should You Blog Anonymously? February 28, 2010 at 9:37 pm

[…] from SquawkFox, who received a book deal based on the quality of the writing on her blog. You can read her story here, and read more about her […]

33. Squawkfox Blog - April 21, 2012 at 5:35 pm

[…] name is Kerry K. Taylor (the K. part is important) and I’m the lone blogger here. I started this site in 2008 and have since been voted Canada’s […]

34. Kelly July 22, 2012 at 4:48 am

I just googled “dogs named Pivo” to see if anyone else has a dog named after the Czech word for beer, and I found you. This is great. I never knew anyone else who had a dog named Pivo and people are constantly mispronouncing it. πŸ˜‰ My Pivo is a 15yo Dalmatian-Border Collie mix. I often have pivos while hanging out with Pivo. πŸ™‚ Cheers!

35. Nancie L. December 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Hi, I stumbled here through Pintrest. I really like what I see, and have downloaded a few things already. Thanks! My B.F.’s name is Leslie… she is named after her Dad. She has said similar things to the comments made by you. In liking the site & not knowing anything about blogs. Do I subscribe??.if so where? I feel my age showing.