Knee surgery is a pain. There. I said it. But during my time in recovery I’ve had oodles of time to reflect on the things that really matter in life, the things I am most thankful for. What are the three things you’re thankful for?
With the financial markets in turmoil, elections is full swing, and the economy in the crapper, now is as good a time as any to count the good stuff we have going for us. It’s time to look on the bright side of life and list those things for which we are thankful. While pondering my own little list, I couldn’t help but marvel at how the things I appreciate most are fantastically frugal. Here goes!
Three Things I am Thankful For:
- Friends & Family. The Beatles were right! I do get by with a little help from my friends, “better half”, and family. Love you guys!
- My Own Voice. I’ve been a professional writer for eons. But it wasn’t until I started Squawkfox that I discovered how my own “true” voice sounded. It’s easier to write in a non-personal manner using newspaper language and generic media-isms. But to write using my own thoughts and words is very humbling and brings a sense of immeasurable appreciation. I am also thankful to you, gentle reader, for listening.
- Walking. Bipedal locomotion seems so simple, but it’s not. After spending several years walking in pain I am thankful to have a healthy right knee again. I walked yesterday for the first time in recent memory without pain. The sun was shining warm on my neck and shoulders. The wind blew through my hair. The moment was glorious and filled me with hope. My dog was thankful for the walk too. 😀
Since writing this post I’ll add three more things I’m thankful for.
- Surviving depression. It’s a hard battle but I’m feeling mentally strong these days.
- Adopting my daughter, Chloe. The kid is magic.
- Giving keynotes and being a public speaker. It’s fun sharing big ideas on personal finance and I love meeting people.
What are you thankful for? What 3 things bring you the most happiness and joy? Go ahead, share your thankful thoughts in the comments below.