Raw Recipe: Healthy Vegetable Sushi Nori Rolls

2012-11-08T21:06:35+00:00 Food, Recipes|

In a rush for some lunch? Need to dine and dash for dinner? Stop eating out or getting take out foods. Restaurant meals slim your wallet and thicken your waistline. When you’re in a pinch for time and are ravenous for food, why not try a raw food recipe?

These quick to prepare, simple to make, and healthy to eat “sushi” nori rolls are cheap to put together. You just need some nori sheets and a handful of raw, delicious vegetables. Try this recipe to embrace some raw vegetables in your day or to impress a friend with your creativity!

nori_raw_sushi_rolls.jpg

These wraps are gluten free and low in calories since they don’t include sweet sugary sushi rice. Adding fresh and healthy vegetables to your diet is always a good thing, regardless of how busy a schedule you keep.

Ingredients:

• 2 nori sheets
  • 1 zucchini, sliced in strips
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • bean sprouts
  • alfalfa sprouts
  • wasabi paste, to taste

Here’s how the ingredients look all layered together:

nori_sushi_rolls.jpg

Don’t be afraid to roll with your favorite vegetable and wrap it up!

Instructions:

1. On a cutting board, place nori sheets.
  2. For each sheet, evenly lay out flat slices of zucchini, tomato, avocado, bean and alfalfa sprouts.
  3. Roll up the nori roll. Starting from the edge closest to you, take the edge of the nori sheet and roll away from you. Use your fingers to wrap the nori tightly around the veggies. Continue rolling until you reach the uncovered edge of the nori. Using a small amount of water, moisten the nori end with your fingertips. Roll tightly and squeeze gently to secure edges. Gently tuck any vegetables that are sticking out at either end of the roll.
  4. nori_sushi_rolls_layout.jpg

5. Serve whole or cut into several pieces with a sharp knife.
  6. Dip in wasabi sauce for some hot spicy fun.

I love these “sushi” nori rolls as a substitute for sandwiches and as a change from regular wraps. If you’re interested in a raw vegetable diet then these rolls may just be for you!

Sound yummy? Sound silly? I love wrapping myself a nori roll for a quick, easy, and cheap frugal lunch. Give it a raw foodie try!

1. Carol October 27, 2008 at 4:30 am

I have just “discovered” your site and want you to know how pleased I am by it. Your articles and lovely pictures are great. I’m sure to spend many hours getting up to speed by reading your past posts. Thanks, Carol

2. MoneyGrubbingLawyer October 27, 2008 at 5:39 am

Interesting! I do my own sushi, but have never thought to try it without the rice. Od you have any trouble getting the rolls to stick together, or does the nori hold it well enough by itself?

And as with any rolls, the key is a sharp, sharp knife!

3. Kerry October 27, 2008 at 6:56 am

@Carol So happy you found me! πŸ˜€

@MoneyGrubbingLaw I use a little dab of water to hold and seal the nori together at the end. The first few “riceless” rolls I made were a bit tricky…but like anything in life, practice makes perfect!

4. Sadao October 27, 2008 at 11:34 am

This is the first I have ever seen riceless sushi and it looks great! I like all the ingredients and the out-of-the-box approach to sushi making.

5. Wesley October 29, 2008 at 9:58 am

These look really good. I’ll have to try them!

6. Terry March 3, 2011 at 8:00 am

Re: These wraps are gluten free and low in calories since they don’t include sweet sugary sushi rice.

Since when did rice have gluten? As far as I know, all rice is gluten free.

Rice, as well as potatoes, and wheat is mucus forming through.

Love your nori roll. If only I can roll and cut it as good as you… πŸ™

7. Jodie September 23, 2012 at 7:11 am

These are such a great idea.
    Just a little hint normal sushi, the rice actually contains vinegar, which contains small amounts of gluten (although this does depend on what vinegar you use)
    So if your celiac you should really make your own sushi πŸ™‚

8. Jodie September 23, 2012 at 7:12 am

Sorry I should correct myself, vinegar is added to the rice as well as Suger. πŸ™‚