Walk the walk and get some exercise for free with the Start Moving: 12 Week Beginner Walking Program. Walking is a simple, fun, and frugal form of exercise with many healthy benefits, including: a healthier heart, stronger bones and joints, weight loss, increased energy levels, and a better night’s sleep.
If you are new or returning to an exercise program, please consider these 7 Tips for Starting a Frugal Walking Program to help you along the right path.
12 Week Beginner Walking Program: Start Moving
If you are new to a fitness or walking program then this plan is for you. The Start Moving Plan is a great introductory program if you want to slowly increase the distance you walk. If you find any given week too difficult, repeat it before moving on to the next week. No one says you have to complete the program in 12 weeks. When starting any new fitness program, please consult with your physician.
Get familiar with the plan terminology:
- Warm Up. Each session begins with a 5 minute easy walking pace. Go slow and easy to get your muscles, joints, and ligaments warmed up.
- Brisk Walking. After your warm up, increase your pace just a little bit. You should be comfortable, not out of breath, and able to carry on a conversation. Keep your pace even and easy.
- Distance. This plan calculates your distance in miles. If the distance is too great for you to start, then walk not as far. The point is to get started and get moving.
- Cool Down. Each session ends with a 5 minute cool down. Go slow and easy to lower your heart rate.
- Number of Days per Week. You should try to walk at least 3 times per week. If walking Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays is difficult, then try Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. The point is to be consistent.
When you’ve mastered the beginner walking program, try:
Don’t forget to use the Free Printable Workout Log to track the distance you walk each week. Minding the details like your goals or how you’re feeling on a given day can help you stay on track.