Printable Pumpkin Carving Stencils (Free and Scary)

2018-01-18T20:54:52+00:00 DIY, Holidays|

Looking for some pumpkin carving help this Halloween? Need a free pattern, stencil, template, cutout, or decorating idea for your Jack O’Lantern carving contest? Scary. I know. But don’t fear, I have 6 free scary Halloween stencils (templates or patterns) for your pumpkin carving pleasure. Or try these: Extreme Pumpkins: Diabolical Do-It-Yourself Designs and 20 Extreme Pumpkin Carving Designs (from Frightful to Fabulous) if you want more of a pumpkin carving challenge.

So go ahead, make a face, decorate a devil, or craft a cat. Personally, I go batty over bats…but I digress. Feel free to download any or all of these free Halloween pumpkin patterns and don’t be a scaredy cat to customize your own creation from these templates.

pumpkin_stencil_bat.png pumpkin_stencil_vampirebat.png
Download: Bat Stencil (PDF) Download: Vampire Stencil (PDF)
pumpkin_stencil_blackcat.png pumpkin_stencil_catface.png
Download: Black Cat Stencil (PDF) Download: Cat Stencil (PDF)
pumpkin_stencil_jack.png pumpkin_stencil_devil.png
Download: Jack Stencil (PDF) Download: Devil Stencil (PDF)

More Halloween Fun:

Pumpkin Carving Stencil Instructions:

1. Download the free pumpkin stencil/pattern you like best, and print.
  2. Using scissors, remove the black area of the stencil, leaving the white space free from scissor marks.
  3. Trim and make small incisions in the stencil. This helps it to lay flat on the face of the pumpkin. Tape the edges of the stencil to the pumpkin.
  4. Transfer the pattern by tracing a marker or pen along the stencil. Alternatively, poke holes along the pattern with a tool or needle. Remove stencil.
  5. Prepare your pumpkin by removing the top or base, removing the pulp and seeds, and scraping the inside.
  6. Using a sharp knife, or a Dremel Pumpkin Carving Kit carve your scary face! See How to Carve a Pumpkin.

If you’re not into carving your pumpkin, use the stencils to create a design and then paint! Yes, you can display a painted pumpkin on Halloween! Painting a design is safer and can be a fun project for kids. Who doesn’t like a green pumpkin with red blood and blue guts?

More Halloween Fun:

Do you carve or paint pumpkins for Halloween? Have a favorite Jack O’Lantern design or pattern? What do you do with your pumpkins after the frightful night? (Yes, I’m looking for some frugal pumpkin ideas. Boo!)

1. TheProfitMaze October 9, 2008 at 2:48 am

Thanks… that’ll come handy when we’ll be working on pumpkins with my kids.

2. tabitha October 9, 2008 at 5:34 am

LOVE the stencils! I will be using these for my kiddos!

3. Marci October 9, 2008 at 6:34 am

Saving for the grandkids! Thanks!

Had to harvest the huge spaghetti squash last night as we were expecting a freeze this morning…. rain instead ๐Ÿ™‚ So will use black markers on one of them, as that way I can still eat the squash later ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Kerry October 9, 2008 at 9:42 am

@TheProfitMaze @tabitha so happy these will come in handy on Halloween. I must admit, my “Better Half” made these templates and had lots of fun making fangs. ๐Ÿ™‚

@Marci You are the coolest grandmom ever. Seriously. Wow.You read blogs AND comment! ๐Ÿ˜€

5. marci October 9, 2008 at 9:48 am

Thanks!
    It’s my job…. meaning I have this really cool job with a lot of down time… I just need to be here, keep the door open, answer phones, and do a minimum of paperwork. The rest of the time is mine – and the boss just wants to keep me happy – so he encourages the internet use ๐Ÿ™‚ In a pinch, I can even bring the grandkids here ๐Ÿ™‚ Cool family friendly bosses here ๐Ÿ™‚ Why would I even think about retiring yet!

6. Treva October 9, 2008 at 3:39 pm

We have a dress-up kit where you just push a hat, face, etc into the pumpkin — like Mr. Potato Head features! It makes a witch and we use it every year. I like to buy a white pumpkin for DD to paint. And I’m all about carving. So we normally buy 2 to 3 pumpkins a year. We carve/prepare the day of — I take the day off from work since I do the harvest party at DD’s school, too! — so that the pumpkins aren’t exposed for too long. Nov. 1 the pumpkins are butchered for their meat. I save in 2 cup increments for pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, etc. This year I’m going to try to save the seeds, too. I hear they’re pretty tasty.

If you ever see one, get a hubbard squash. It’s big and ugly but the middle is just like a pumpkin. In fact, a local guy that grows them told me that hubbard squash is used more for pumpkin pies than pumpkin is! They are *HUGE* and super-meaty. One medium-sized hubbard squash gave me 10 cups of puree last winter. It takes at least 2 or 3 pumpkins to get the same thing. Another cool thing about hubbard squash — the flavor is the same as pumpkin, but more intense.

7. Marci October 9, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Put the pumpkin seeds on a foil covered cookie sheet and roast in the oven. You can add some salt or spices near the end if you want also. Yes, they’re great!

Butternut squash is my fav for pumpkin pies ๐Ÿ™‚
    Like hubbard, they seem to give more solid puree
    than pumpkin.

8. Stephanie October 11, 2008 at 3:09 pm

If we’ve painted pumpkins and kept them out side they usually are still good, and can be cooked up. If we carve we usually scrape out a lot of the flesh before carving and cook that for puree, and roast the seeds. When we are tired of looking at them we feed them to the animals. (we have farm animals!)

9. Moments of Fame « Funny about Money October 14, 2008 at 5:45 am

[…] ahead of yourself but are still decorating for Hallowe’en, Squawkfox has posted a set of very classy pumpkin-carving stencilsย and Mary at Simply Forties provides recipes for cooking up the pumpkin […]

10. […] printable pumpkin carving stencils from Squawkfox (includes […]