Printable Dorm Room Essentials Checklist

2010-06-14T11:56:25+00:00 Home & Garden|

Going back to school is a fantastically fun time of year. Back when I was in university I couldn’t wait to leave the parental units at home and head off to greener academic pastures. But what to bring? If you’re a student about to live in a college dorm room (or university residence) then getting organized can be a daunting task.

To help you sort though the seemingly endless list, I’ve put together the Dorm Room Essentials Checklist to help. There are wide variations in what various dorms and residences provide, so this list includes many essential items which may already be provided at your school. Stuff like dorm room furniture, bedding, and kitchen supplies may not be required. So be sure to check twice before going back to school with the kitchen sink.

dorm_room_essentials_checklist.gif

Download: Printable Dorm Room Essentials Checklist (PDF Format)

The Printable Dorm Room Essentials Checklist will help you to:

• Save money by avoiding the stuff you don’t need.
  • Get organized before going back to school.
  • Keep track of only the items you need.
  • Identify items you may need to buy.

Other home moving checklists you may like:

Squawkback:What are your essentials for going back to school? What did I miss? What’s on your list

1. Back to School: Save on Textbooks August 14, 2008 at 1:01 am

[…] Different Ways by Money Ning, An Empty Wallet Isn’t Required for Back to School by Blunt Money and Dorm Room Essentials Checklist by Squawkfox from other members of the […]

2. A.J. August 14, 2008 at 4:50 am

Condoms! perfect.

3. Kerry August 14, 2008 at 7:26 am

@A.J. Yep. 🙂

4. Sara at On Simplicity August 14, 2008 at 7:29 pm

A set of tools is a great item to have! My dad sent me of with a small toolbox (pink, of course), and pretty much every person on my floor used them at some point!

I’d also recommend keeping some snacks on hand for dorm kids. I can remember nights of going to bed hungry when the dining commons were closed and I’d eaten dinner hours ago.

5. Reyn August 16, 2008 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for sharing! Pretty helpful list :]
    I’m off to the dorm next week so this really helps me keep track of the things that I may not have

6. SP August 17, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Wait, college students iron??? I’m 25 and i barely iron

7. doctorS August 18, 2008 at 8:02 am

Very good list. Toolbox is great idea, Iron is not. I never ironed once during college. One thing I do remember is I got so many free tshirts in college it was absurd. Most important thing to get when you are moving into the dorms…. EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE TO BACK UP ALL OF YOUR WORK ON!!! Computers in the dorms crash as often as it rains in Seattle! Antivirus is one thing but always helpful to have it externally backed up when you h ave to start over!

8. Kerry August 18, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Ahh ironing. I think bringing an iron depends on your major and if you do cooperative education. I studied business and journalism and needed nicely ironed shirts when I did my work placements.

9. Decor 2 Ur Door June 30, 2010 at 10:46 am

Add 3-M Command tabs for securing to the wall and fishing line is also great. Add vinyl wall decor your can customize and remove when you move out!

10. Anoo March 26, 2013 at 12:56 pm

This was so helpful! Iron is a necessity for business majors like me. I am off tomorrow and all set, Thank you 🙂