Are Debbie Meyer Green Bags worth it?

2017-11-03T09:39:33+00:00 Food|

Are Debbie Meyer green bags worth it? is part of the series, Tasty Trash: The $55 million Squawkfox Food Waste Challenge. This series aims to help your family save up to $1,500 this year by reducing food waste. To start from the beginning, read the introduction.

“Save money by eliminating waste.” That’s the claim that first caught my eye when I picked up a box of Debbie Meyer’s green bags. Who doesn’t want to “prolong the life” of produce by stickin’ it in a pretty green bag designed to remove the ethylene gas that accelerates rotting? Easy.

But do they really work?

debbie meyer green bags ziploc

The sciencey part of my brain wanted to know if this As Seen on TV product did the job it promised. My wallet wanted to cut costly food waste.

So I devised an experiment.

Debbie Meyer Green Bags Experiment

In one corner (of my refrigerator) I lovingly bagged and stored a wide variety of fruits and vegetables in those expensive Debbie Meyer’s Green Bags. In the other corner I zipped and sealed a complementary produce stash in comparably sized Ziploc Freezer Bags.

debbie meyer green bags

At $13.43 for a box of 20, the Debbie Meyer Green Bags cost a staggering $0.67 per bag. The popular Ziploc Freezer Bags retail for $0.10 a piece at Costco.

I planned to take pictures of the produce every day for 22 days.

Game on. Let the produce bag wars begin!

Debbie Meyer Green Bags: The Ripened Results

I followed the Debbie Meyer Green Bags instructions to a tee. After 22 days of refrigerating broccoli, apples, lemons, carrots and parsley, and storing bananas on my counter, I harvested these ripened results.

Bananas

The bananas showed the most dramatic change. For some fruity fun I sealed a pair of bananas in each bag type, plus I left a naked banana pair on the counter as a scientific control. This is real science, people. Oh, and I made a little video to serve as proof. Bananas, I know.

Week One. After 7 days, all bagged bananas looked about the same. The unbagged banana control group boasted more brown spots than the bananas quarantined in bags.

Week Two. After 14 days, the Debbie Meyer Green Bag bananas were as brown as the unbagged control bananas. The bananas in the Ziploc bag looked best.

green bags bananas

The End. From day 16 to day 22, all bananas deteriorated quickly. The Debbie Meyer Green Bag and Ziploc bananas developed significant moldy spots. They looked equally disgusting.

green bag banana

ziploc banana

The control group (with the Squawkfox logo) turned very brown and started to shrivel, but this banana pair did not grow mold. Go science!

banana

Making tasty banana bread or healthy homemade ice cream would have been more fun than watching my fruit grow mold. Ick.

Parsley

After 22 days of bagged captivity, the parsley wilted and turned yellow. Neither bag outperformed the other.

green bags parsley

Broccoli, carrots, lemons, and apples oh my!

The balance of my bounty — yeah, the bagged fruits and veggies — all looked the same outside their respective bags 22 days later. I’d say both the Debbie Meyer Green Bags and Ziploc bags performed equally well. Take a look for yourself.

green bags

green bags carrots

green bags apples

green bags lemons

Verdict: It’s not in the Debbie Meyer Green Bags

The costly Debbie Meyer Green Bags did not extend the life or freshness of my refrigerated produce longer than the less expensive Ziploc bags.

Bagging bananas in either bag could ward off brown spots a few days longer, but after 10 days, all banana pairs were inedible.

Conclusion: Save your green on green bags. If you really want to “save money by eliminating waste”, then I’d highly recommend making a grocery shopping list and meal planning around your perishables before the food goes foul.

Spending good money on Debbie Meyer Green Bags won’t do a thing to extend the life of your produce if you’re not eating your fruits and veggies before their natural expiry date. Everything dies, people. And these bags are a huge waste of moolah.

I want a refund.

Love,
Kerry

1. Lili@creativesavv July 16, 2012 at 6:55 am

Thanks for doing this for us! Now I can feel satisfied with my method for keeping produce. If I have anything that I think will not fair well, like lettuce or other greens, or if I’m storing carrots long-term, I wrap the veggies in paper towels and then slide into a bag. The paper towels keep things from resting on the plastic, and prevent the slimies!

2. Jules July 16, 2012 at 7:01 am

I don’t trust any vegetable that’s been in the fridge for more than 2 weeks, or any fruit after four. Seconding the opinion that the best way to save money and eliminate waste is to not have excessive veggies to toss to begin with.

3. Robin from Frugal Family Times July 16, 2012 at 7:57 am

Thanks for sharing this, Kerry! I always wonder about these products. I wonder how something reusable would fare in this experiment? That would be the ultimate money saver.

4. Melanie Lange July 16, 2012 at 9:13 am

I have tried the green bags and agree they are a a waste of time and money. Ihave tried the re-usable green containers and found that they work excellently, especially with cut fruit ands vegetables. This is super during BBQ season because I can cut up a bunch of tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and lettuce or spinach and it will keep. This saves me time and having to make the same mess each time we need vegetables.

5. Jody July 16, 2012 at 10:15 am

My MIL gave me a box of these as well as the bread bags. I use them, I wash them, I use them again. I admit – I would never buy them myself. My ziploc bags have similar results with my home made bread.

6. Beth July 16, 2012 at 10:47 am

Great, thanks for sharing! I agree the best strategy is better grocery planning. I have a few back-up plans to cook and freeze stuff if I don’t use it up quickly enough. You would be surprised at what you can put in soup or spaghetti sauce 😉

7. Sue July 16, 2012 at 4:13 pm

…ummm good food for my worms…

8. Kathy July 17, 2012 at 5:31 am

In Canada, ZipLoc has “Produce Bags”. These are ziploc bags with tiny holes in them. The produce lasts considerable longer in them.

9. Trish July 17, 2012 at 7:03 am

Hi Kerry –
    Maybe check out the fridgesmart containers from tupperware. I’ve been using them for about a year and produce lasts so much longer. I’ve done the banana test and it’s wild. They aren’t cheap but everyone I know who uses them loves them.

10. Imogen July 17, 2012 at 7:14 am

I wish I had seen this a couple of days ago. I had been looking at the PC Produce Bags for a while wondering if they were worth it and bought some when they had a no tax sale. So far I have only tried bananas and I don’t think the buildup of moisture inside did them any good. I already have a good system for storing romaine, green onions,celery etc, I wrap them in paper towel and then put them in one of the thin plastic bags you get for free in the Produce section
    and tie it off twith a bread tag. This method works really well, so buying the bags was a waste of money. I think I was just looking for a way to prolong bananas. Are there any tips for keeping bananas longer or should we just respect their naurally short life span? ( I just peeled and chunked the spotty bananas and put them in snack bags to store in the freezer for future smoothies)

11. Nikki July 17, 2012 at 7:43 am

I freeze my bananas (peel them first ) as soon as they are a bit spotted so I don’t ever waste them and they are delicious frozen — and you can slice them frozen .
    But I eat them frozen as they might get mushy thawed

12. Lili@creativesavv July 17, 2012 at 8:12 am

I have read that if you separate bananas from the bunch, they ripen more slowly. Also, do not store bananas in any sort of bag or with apples. The ethylene that fruits give off causes other fruit to ripen faster. And bagging your bananas only increases the ethylene.

Now if you need ripe bananas for tomorrow, place them in a brown paper bag with an apple or two. That’ll hasten the ripening.

One other tip, if you don’t mind brown skins, you can refrigerate bananas and they’ll ripen more slowly. The peels age from the cold (they’re a tropical fruit, after all), but the edible portion is perfect.

13. Maureen July 18, 2012 at 1:41 am

I’ve always wondered about these, too – thanks for saving me the money! (I wonder what the company would say about the experiment.) Thanks, Kerry!

14. Candy July 18, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thanks Kerry – another great article. I have never tried the produce bags, but I have been using the tupperware fridgesmart containers for a few years and they work great. I would love to see the same experiment with the tupperware and the more affordable rubbermaid ones vs ziploc.

15. Laurie July 19, 2012 at 7:30 am

Great article. Curious….if you did the control with the banana on the counter, why not a control of all the produce items being unbagged?

But I whole-heartedly agree with the final bit with preventing food waste is best by planning – and buying – only what you will eat in a week.

16. Mel July 19, 2012 at 7:31 am

Hi Kerry,

I am loving what your doing here. Great article. I did find a few cheap trick to naturally keep certain products longer. Strawberries go fast. I find if I keep these in a sealed container (i use the cheap throw away glad at that) they keep my strawberries 1 -2 weeks otherwise after 3 days they are usually no good. Same goes for grapes. Only trick to remember is to wipe the moisture when you take some out otherwise they can rot and go gross. Keep up the great articles!!

17. Diane July 19, 2012 at 7:53 am

Thank you for doing this costly and time consuming experiment.
    I have to admit to being curious about this.
    Thank you for saving me money.

18. Karen July 19, 2012 at 8:42 am

Kerry,
    You are so cool, babe!! I bought those green bags a couple of times and wondered whether it was worth it. Now I know! Thanks so much for being such an awesome resource and doing these science fair experiments. We love you for it!

19. Sharon Suffern July 19, 2012 at 9:09 am

I have also done this experiment and have a whole shelf of these overpriced bags for different types of food. For fruits and vegetables, my favorite bag is the Ziploc Vegetable Bags. I am not sure if they are still available. I have some leftover inventory from a “snack shack” business we had at a lake. I use them on the counter until the fruit is ripe and then they go in the refrigerator. I am amazed at how well they work. Will be having a hissy fit if I can’t find them on the shelf.

20. Chris July 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

Great article! Thanks for doing this experiment. I can’t say I’ve ever been tempted to try the green bags since we meal plan, but it’s still good information to have.

21. Lisa July 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I must say that I also use the Tupperware containers. My mom got me started on them and I find that they are awesome at keeping fruits/veggies fresh! Also, as the majority of them are rectangular they stack easily in the fridge. I haven’t tried any of the produce bags as I’ve never seen the point – I’d rather use my reusable options.

22. Maggie July 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Several years ago, I did a comparison of plain zippered bags vs the ‘vegetable’ (holey) version, using lettuce – washed, spun dry and bagged with paper towels. I can’t remember the length of time, but the plain bag worked better than the specialized one. As the saying goes – your mileage may vary 🙂

23. Linda July 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Well, thank goodness it was not me using the green bags incorectly. I never thought to do a study so appreciate you doing it and showing me I did not use the bags incorrectly. I got mine on QVC or HSN when they first came out a year or two ago. I never bought them a second time. Wondering if her green bowls work as she says? Take care.

24. Jess July 20, 2012 at 1:37 am

Interesting experiment. It all goes to prove that correct food storage is all-important.

25. betts2 July 20, 2012 at 5:22 pm

thanks a lot for that great experiment! i always wondered about those green bags! thanks for sharing!

26. Cristi July 20, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Awesome post! Thanks!

27. Marianne July 23, 2012 at 5:43 am

I would suggest brown paper bags as well

28. 20's Finances July 23, 2012 at 11:16 am

This is an amazing experiment. I am glad to know that I haven’t wasted my money on these things. I guess the best way is to buy as little as you need and go to the store when you run out.

29. Tina January 8, 2013 at 9:07 am

Hi there,
    I just stumbled across your website, love it thanks for the info. I am on a mission to go green, save money and not waste food. I’ve already started making my own natural products and homemade food items instead of pre-Package. The banana theory and bags was great. I read that in order to keep bananas longer to separate them on the counter so they are not touching. So, I gave it a try, it worked. They lasted at least a week longer, I believe it would be longer but I wanted them in my smoothie, they were fine inside.

30. flip@60 May 28, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I see this has been up a year or more…just seeing it now. Good article.

Talking to a farmer at a Farmers’ Market recently, he explained that veggies emit a gas that will naturally PREVENT their deterioration. Thus, any veggies you bag will stay “fresh” longer, and it is further enhanced by placing bagged veggies in the fridge; just as you experimented.

Is Debbie Meyer a chemist? Cause she sure tapped on one of the simplest products to market, with the most effective “got chya” marketing campaigns EVER. When I listened to that farmer talk about slowly ripening his under-ripe avocados in plastic bags in the fridge, I thought of Ms. Meyer and had one of those envy-moments (“Gosh, I wish I’D thought of that”). And I was seriously tempted to enroll in a refresher class of agricultural chemistry. Just MAYBE there are other goodies to tap in on??

31. Tonya February 9, 2014 at 10:15 am

I disagree. I’ve been using these bags for years as I too did an experiment in the beginning that proved to myself that these bags do work!!

32. Laura Wiltshire July 15, 2014 at 8:53 am

I am a bit late here, but…. I find the green bags (from Dollarama in Canada, a copy of the Debbie ones) amazing. You are supposed to just fold over the ends, not seal them. Cherries I bought and put in the bag were perfect 3 weeks later (I had been on vacation and bought them for my daughter before leaving). Just a few days before our return she bought cherries (didn’t see the ones I had left for her!) and they were no longer good. The green bagged ones were just like new and tasted fresh. Unfortunately I can no longer find them at Dollarama. They also work great for potatoes which seem to rot so quickly lately, corn on the cob, carrots, broccoli and celery. I haven’t tried the real Debbie ones.

33. Vd January 27, 2015 at 11:16 am

I left produce that was already 3 days old in DM green bags while on a ten day cruise. When I returned, I only had to throw out a little of the lettuce. The carrots radishes, romaine, celery, potatoes, turnip roots and cabbage were all fine and I used them. I think some people must not use the bags correctly.
    Be sure you leaving the openings a little loose and that you are not piling other things on top of them, especially other plastic bags of produce. I do dry my produce before bagging them.

34. Karen March 1, 2015 at 12:56 am

I find putting some herbs and veggies in containers of water like florists do with flowers and placing them in the fridge can prolong freshness. I cut the butt end of celery and place it with water up right like a bouquet (I change water daily) help keep it crunchy to the last stick. Works for fresh herbs like parsley and cilantro too.

35. Thomas Goglio April 20, 2015 at 5:21 pm

I have been using these and other brand green bags for years. They do work! I grow a lot of my own produce and cannot always control what comes in and how much, I havn’t done a control experiment, but just from observation, when produce goes into the dehydrator section of the fridge in other than the green bags (either unwrapped or in other plastic) they don’t keep nearly as long (often times a two to one difference).
    Yes they are costly, but we re use each bag as often as twenty times, washing and drying between uses.

36. Judy Brannen May 28, 2015 at 7:50 am

Are you supposed to close the end of the bags with a tie or do you leave it open for storage?

37. Denise H July 22, 2015 at 11:14 am

I have been using the Debbie Meyer green bags for 5 years now! I used to be able
    to find them @ Target, but now only buy them @ Bed, Bath, Beyond with their coupons. They do work if you follow the instructions, wash & dry produce first & just FOLD over the bag, not tie it closed. I date the bag when I first use it, & get about a month out of each bag.

38. Deb July 29, 2015 at 7:09 pm

I bought the dm bags to store garden produce until I have enough to fill a canner. Ilove them! You can’t tell the difference between the food that was put in at all different times.
    Food must be clean and dry and checked periodically for moisture. This should be wiped out.Don’t twist tie closed. Just lightly fold over. These bags are re-usable; just wash and dry.

39. Sarah J Marquez August 14, 2015 at 7:07 pm

The hefty alligator storage bags are better an cheaper an work on all fruits except banners an most vegetables works great on tomatoes. The green bags didn’t work great on tomatoes

40. Terri October 11, 2015 at 7:52 pm

The bags really do work! You have to keep the ends open though. I tried the Blue Apple put one in the crisper drawer and one in a sealed Tupperware with celery. They did not perform nearly as well. They aren’t that expensive. You use them many times over…!

41. Nikki February 17, 2016 at 11:19 am

Thank for sharing your results. I’ve been contemplating this purchase for months. You’ve made my decision fairly easy…we’ll stick to what we’ve been using. Thanks again.

42. Debbie Gagnon April 19, 2016 at 1:05 pm

I buy Debbie Myer green bags and for me they keep everything long with than without. As long as I don’t
    Have to throw produce away I will continue to buy
    These bags. Thank you Debbie Myer.

43. smartalek April 28, 2016 at 9:07 am

This is real science, people.”

It’s “real science” only if you do the experiment “blind” — meaning, an assistant puts the products in the bags (and on the counter), and then at the end of the procedure, takes them out and presents them to you, *without* you knowing which is which.
    Only after you’ve assessed the relative outcomes does the assistant then reveal to you which products had been in which state.
    This helps to minimize confirmation bias and other possible interferences in judgement calls on the outcomes.
    Also, you need to be wearing a lab coat, preferably white, ideally with a pocket protector.
    It just isn’t “real science” without the lab coat.
    But you knew all that.

44. Irene June 19, 2016 at 2:26 am

I found that if I use twist ties, so the air does not escape, the green bags do work. The instructions on the Debbie Myers bags say to close loosely. Under those instructions, the food did root quickly. I used twist ties that I did not need that came with my trash bags. Bounty used to make produce bags that extended the life of produce, but I have not seen them around lately.

45. Alan July 27, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Some green bags worked great if as some said, you follow the instructions, but be careful, some are I would say, knock offs. We had the best from The Christmas Tree Shop. So even though I think your post was valid, we will still hunt for the real greenies that worked perfectly for bananas. However, most have been duds.

46. mdso August 3, 2016 at 3:53 am

We use a small amount of food grade hydrogen peroxide 6% and dilute with filtered water made into a spray. Spray onto the produce and bag. Everything lasts longer. We also spray our kitchen benches and gargle with it too.

My Grandmother use to use hessian bags for everything and place into an internal or external Coolgardie safe.

47. Maureen Elizabeth August 7, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Do not waste your money on the green bags or boxes. The food doesn’t last any longer than it does in dollar store plastic bags and containers. The green boxes have lids that are the same hard plastic as their bases, making them rigid, inflexible, and hard to get off/remove – especially on the smaller ones as the lip/edge is too small for even my small fingers to get a firm grip on. They go on easy enough, it’s getting them off that’s hard. People with limited dexterity or arthritis should avoid. Glass keeps food freshest. See-thru, so no mysteries. Some jars are uniquely shaped, w/designs, making them quite attractive. The fact you can get them free, from recycled food jars you soak the labels off of, and they are washable and reusable is an added bonus!

48. Kaye August 9, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Been using Green Bags since they were introduced and wouldn’t be without them. If, like me, you prefer to eat a wide variety of fruits and veggies and have a small household, these bags are critical. For them to work, the produce must be fresh and perfect. Preexisting bruises or diseased areas will proceed to rot regardless of a Green Bag. Lettuces, celery and such should have the stem ends cut back to remove old, discolored tissue. Fresh, perfect produce really does seem to be in suspended animation. On the down side, however, I have noticed that if something has lived in your fridge for a long time and still is perfect, once removed from the Green Bag it will age at an accelerated rate if left out. Have tried almost all the methods listed and find Green Bags work best for me.

49. jwoolman September 24, 2016 at 3:58 am

Someone mentioned knockoffs. You can buy the real deal directly online from the original providers, Evert-Fresh (evertfresh.com) in a better selection of sizes. I like the small and medium sized best. I’ve used them since the 1980s when they first came out (Debbie did not invent or discover them, she just acts as though she did). You do have to put the produce in dry (don’t need to wash them and probably best if you don’t) and periodically wipe down the bags and experiment to see what works and what doesn’t. Very few people report success with bananas, so I don’t even try. I’ve tried the green boxes and they do help prolong the life of whole mushrooms and other produce for me. Not a lot, but enough to make a difference. Not sure if they’re better than glass bowls with lids, though. I also use Pyrex glass bowls with tight rubber lids for some cut up veg. In bags and boxes and bowls, try putting a folded paper towel under the produce and let that absorb moisture, and change that frequently while wiping things down.

Just before bananas start to get spotted, I put them individually in the fridge. They are good for a while after they turn black on the outside, but slice them up soon and stash in the freezer in plastic bags for up to two weeks or so. They are really good frozen and you can use them in smoothies. I freeze sliced fruits and veggies all the time in small cheapie sandwich bags (even greens), twisting and knotting to seal, for smoothies or just eating. The fruits are like instant sorbet with no work. Frozen blueberries and seedless grapes especially are good quick snacks. Also cherries – I actually keep the pits in those for just eating. I’ve even eaten frozen sections of citrus fruit. My Vitamix makes short work of the rest. Pulverizes the seeds, too, which helps if you have trouble with seeds. Seedless cucumbers and celery are great added to fruit. A little spinach or cut up broccoli or radishes can be nice in various spicy drinks. Really makes a difference in the food bill because there is so little spoilage.

50. Sharry September 26, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I have used Debbie Meyer Green Bags for years and am very pleased not only with how fresh they keep my produce, but with cost effectiveness of not having to throw out wilted, spoiled fruits and vegetables.

They truly do keep foods fresh for UP TO two weeks, as advertised.

I am not an employee of the company, but a wife and mother who struggles to find cost-saving means.

51. Lil August 5, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Sharry ! I too have had great success with them. Bananas and certain vegetables do not go in frig or bags. I love usingmie for organic Kale and super greens. A huge bag lasts us two -three weeks and it’s fresh as first day with Green bags! No food goes healthily kept for much more than three weeks.
    Happy I’m not the only one lol!
    Lil

52. ScarletDove September 2, 2017 at 7:14 pm

I agree about the green bags, no difference…………..when I use a bag of any kind, top is left open and it works better to keep and prevent early deterioration…..

53. Linda July 28, 2018 at 11:41 am

I bought a set of the Debbie Meyer green boxes. Used them as directed. Bread went moldy after 5 days, as did peaches. Very dissapointed!