It’s been a crazy month here on the frugal farm and for once “the crazy” isn’t all my doing. Over the month we’ve flown some kites, potted peas, avoided a mortgage meltdown, reduced credit card debt, and hacked a Swiffer.
OK, hacking the Swiffer was all my doing. But Carl built the garbage bag kites and used his programming prowess for the Credit Card Calculator. So I can’t take all the Squawky frugal fox credit this month. Smile.
The Buck Stops Here
Along with all things finance, the frugal farm met with some amazing wildlife this month. Living in the middle of a forest can be both a scary and an amazing experience. We’ve seen bears, owls, and now this gorgeous whitetailed deer.
This beautiful buck has been sleeping at the end of my driveway for the last few nights. I’m amazed he’s content to just sit there and watch me go by. His fuzzy antlers are just stunning. Swoon.
Welcome New Readers
I’d love to welcome all new readers, subscribers, and frugal friends to the Squawkfox blog. July was a big month since being named one of the Top Money Blogs by Globe and Mail readers and featured on Business News Network program The Close. Squawkfox also saw some serious ink with Jonathan Chevreau’s National Post review of my book, 397 Ways to Save Money.
So welcome! It’s nice to meet you all! Feel free to jump in by commenting and sharing your smart spending views. All opinions are welcome. If you want to know the story behind this blog’s strange name, check out My name is not really Squawkfox, and feel free to call me Kerry!
Personal Finance Roundup
There’s a lot of fabulous financial information out there in the blogosphere and here are a few of the posts that have caught my eye this month. If you like what you see then do drop a comment for the blogger behind the post. We bloggers love it when you guys leave your two cents.
- True Frugal Living: Homesteading In The Wilderness | The Digerati Life
- Staycation | MomGrind
- Start money lessons for your kids with a piggy bank | Home Cents (Chaya Cooperberg)
- Do Your Best (even when “crap continues to happen”) | Gail Vaz-Oxlade
- How Much Crap Do We Really Need?: A List Of Our Possessions | Man Vs. Debt (I guess it helps if you’re couchsurfing)
- Spending Cash Is the Same As Borrowing If You Have Debts | Four Pillars
- Risks of Fixed Income Investments | ABC’s of Investing
- Look at the Big Picture | Being Frugal
- 11 Lists You Should Be Keeping | Through The Illusion
- The 2009 Personal Finance “How to” Roundup | AllFinancialMatters
- You Don’t Own the Books on Your Kindle | Mrs. Micah
Canadian Content Roundup
- A Retroactive TFSA Proposal (for Canadian Seniors) | Wealthy Boomer (Jonathan Chevreau)
- The best location for Canadian Dividend Stocks | Canadian Capitalist
- Tax Strategy: Dividend Sprinkling | Million Dollar Journey
- Who’s afraid of financial literacy? | Ellen Roseman
- Thoughts on Niagara Falls | freemoneyfinance (he stayed on the Canadian side smile)
Fun and Smart Reads Roundup
My Blog Reader was bursting this month with some amazing blog posts. Many of these reads are money-related, but some are just tasty.
- What They Say About Winners | The Art of Non-Conformity (Chris Guillebeau)
- The Benefits of a Gap Year | The Art of Manliness
- How to decide how much to reveal about yourself | Brazen Careerist
- Ignore Your Critics and Winning On The Uphills | Seth Godin
- How To Write When You Think You Can’t | Dumb Little Man
- How to Use Couchsurfing to See the World | Get Rich Slowly
- How Low Can You Go? Chicken-and-Corn Fried Rice with Lemon Spinach | The Simple Dollar
- Step-by-Step Guide to Handcrafted Coffee | Wisebread
- German Whole Rye Sourdough (Vollkornbrot) | Apple Pie, Patis, & Pate
- How To Make A Lattice Top Crust | Gotta Little Space
Book Reviews Roundup
A huge big thank you to Jonathan Chevreau (author of Findependence Day), Larry MacDonald, Jim Wang, and Canadian Capitalist for reviewing my book in July. I am honored to be mentioned on your blogs and in print.
- 397 Ways to Save Money | Jonathan Chevreau
- The 398th way to save money | Larry MacDonald
- 397 Ways to Save Money by Kerry Taylor | Bargaineering
- 397 Ways To Save Money | Canadian Capitalist
I participated in a few blog carnivals this month!
- Carnival of Personal Finance | GoodFinancialCents (Thanks Jeff for the Editor’s Pick!
- Carnival of Personal Finance | christianpf
- Festival of Frugality | Financial Highway
- Make it From Scratch | Make it From Scratch Blog
Roundup of the Roundup
Phew. I think this was my biggest roundup to date. I’m looking forward to August and have many posts ready to rumble your wallet. If there’s anything you’d love to read then feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments.
Love love love,
If you enjoyed this article and would like more, enter your email address in the box below. Articles from Squawkfox.com will be sent to your email inbox for free. Your email will not be shared. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Plus, you'll get this free 92-page ebook.