So you want to get walking but the Beginner Walking Program isn’t a fit? Well, put your walking shoes on and get some exercise for free with the Kick it Up: 12 Week Intermediate Walking Program. Walking is a simple, fun, and frugal form of exercise with many healthy benefits, including: a healthier heart, stronger bones and joints, weight loss, increased energy levels, and a better night’s sleep.
12 Week Intermediate Walking Program: Kick it Up
If you’ve got some fitness going for you, then try this intermediate plan. The Kick it Up Plan starts with a longer walk than the beginner program and builds to even longer walks. If you find any given week too difficult, repeat it before moving on to the next week. No one says you have to complete the program in 12 weeks. When starting any new fitness program, please consult with your physician.
Get familiar with the plan terminology:
- Warm Up. Each session begins with a 5 minute easy walking pace. Go slow and easy to get your muscles, joints, and ligaments warmed up.
- Brisk Walking. After your warm up, increase your pace just a little bit. You should be comfortable, not out of breath, and able to carry on a conversation. Keep your pace even and easy.
- Distance. This plan does not calculate your distance walked. This plan is all about the time you spend walking, not how far you travel.
- Cool Down. Each session ends with a 5 minute cool down. Go slow and easy to lower your heart rate.
- Total Exercise Time. The total time spent walking, including your warm up and cool down.
- Number of Days per Week. You should try to walk at least 3 times per week. If walking Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays is difficult, then try Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. The point is to be consistent.
Go ahead and give these walking plans a spin:
Feel free to use the Free Printable Workout Log to track the distance you walk each week. Minding the details like your goals or how you’re feeling on a given day can help you stay on track.
If you enjoyed this article and would like more, enter your email address in the box below. Articles from Squawkfox.com will be sent to your email inbox for free. Your email will not be shared. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Plus, you'll get this free 92-page ebook.