Walking is a fun and frugal form of exercise. Walking does not require any expensive equipment and it can be done by most people almost anywhere! Besides, not paying for an expensive gym membership could save you hundreds (even thousands) of dollars this year. There are many health benefits to starting a frugal walking program as well – it’s good for your heart, strengthens bones and joints, burns calories, increases energy levels, and can improve the quality of your sleep.
I’ve been a long time fan of a frugal walking program and have participated in the walking division of many marathons over the years. Walking a marathon doesn’t happen over night, but it can happen if you start slow and work your way up! If you are new to exercise, please consider these important health tips before starting a walking exercise plan.
- Check with your Doctor. Always check with your doctor before starting an exercise program.
- Start Slow. Don’t overdo a walking program if you are a beginning exerciser. Let your body adjust to the new activity.
- Go Easy. For the first few weeks, do not push too hard. Your breathing should be elevated, but you should not be breathing hard for oxygen.
- Be Pain Free. Walking should not hurt. If it does, see your doctor.
- Be Consistent. Try to walk at least 3 times each week. You will see benefits sooner if you stay consistent with your exercise plan.
- Mind the Time. Wear a watch to monitor the time you spend walking.
- Track it. Use an exercise log sheet or this Free Printable Workout Log to track the distance you walk each week. Minding the details like your goals or how you feel can keep your feet going in the right direction.
Try these three walking plans once you’re ready to get started:
- 12 Week Beginner Walking Program
- 12 Week Intermediate Walking Program
- 12 Week Advanced Walking Program
Follow these simple guidelines and you’ll be well on your way to a fitter self.
Don’t forget to check with your doctor before starting any of the fitness or exercise plans on this blog.
If you enjoyed this article and would like more, enter your email address in the box below. Articles from Squawkfox.com will be sent to your email inbox for free. Your email will not be shared. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Plus, you'll get this free 92-page ebook.